Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Sound and the Fury. And the Awesomeness of that Sound!

Hi everyone! Please pardon my delay in posting all about our trip to get Milo's magic ears. It was part-magic, part-toughest day ever, and I've been struggling with exactly how honest I should be on this blogpost. I figure there's no use in hiding anything. Sugar-coating this experience wouldn't really be helpful for anyone, especially me! 

So here goes.

We were originally scheduled to get them the first Monday in January, but due to a delay in the arrival of our ear molds, we had to reschedule for a week later. I was so very anxious to take this first, very important step in making sure Milo is set up for success. 

We walked into the room and nervously sat down. I didn't know that I'd need to be practically a technician on these two very technical, very expensive contraptions. Here's how to change the battery... blah blah blah... here's how to clean them... blah blah blah... here's how to... CAN'T WE JUST PUT THEM ON HIM AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS?! 

Finally, the time had come. Camera phone - ready!

I'm not sure I knew what to expect. I'd seen videos on YouTube where a 6+ month old infant started giggling when they turned them on. Maybe I halfway wanted him to shout out "Wowza! I can hear!" (A little advanced speech for a 11 week old, I'll admit, but what can I say, I'm an optimist.)

His response was adorable. He was already a little fussy due to all the poking and prodding beforehand, so he wasn't letting go of his tweeter (pacifier). Once Beth turned on the hearing aid, his eyes got wide and he stopped sucking on the tweeter. After hearing Marc & I's voices, he broke into a grin, dropped the tweeter, and started smiling, as if to say "so that's what you've been saying all this time!"



Melissa and Beth we pretty impressed that they were staying in so well. They continued teaching us about care for the hearing aids, and we left for home. This wasn't so bad. 


That's when shit got real. 

A wise co-worker told me that I'd circle back through all those emotions I felt in the beginning, and the most prevalent one at this time was ANGER. 

We weren't prepared for the echo-y, robotic sounding sound when you hug/cuddle/speak closely to him. It made my cuddly, handsome baby seem like a robot. Nursing was now a challenge. Do I take them out every single time he eats, or do I leave them in and deal with annoying feedback? 

We weren't prepared for the feedback when he sits anywhere where his ears touch the side (car seat, swing, bouncy seat, etc).

We weren't prepared for the huge hassle of keeping an infant in hearing aids. They're constantly popping out. (Enter the pilot cap that Kirby had suggested - such a lifesaver! Not only do they keep the hearing aids tightly conformed to his ears, but they're also pretty darn adorable. I found an awesome shop on Etsy, and now I'm afraid I'm single-handedly keeping them in business...)



- side note - Through the amazing UNC-Chapel Hill, we were put in touch with another family with a daughter who's hearing loss journey very much mirrors our own. Kirby has been an absolute INVALUABLE resource for us, and we haven't even met her or her adorable family! (Yet! Soon!) To be able to talk to another mom who's been in my shoes every single step of the way ... I just can't say enough. Thank you, Kirby. I'll never be able to express the extent of my gratitude. Never ever. 

We weren't prepared for a lot of it. How could we be?

I spent a lot of Monday crying. A lot. This situation effing sucked. Why him? He didn't do anything to deserve this. Why us? We're good people. (Right?)

Kirby assured me that it gets better. She said that now, putting her daughter in hearing aids each morning was as simple as brushing her teeth. And her daughter, BTW, is practically a genius. 

And each day really has gotten easier. Milo loves putting his ears in each morning. I love the ear-to-ear grin he gives me when I say "Can you hear me now?" 

Highlight. Of. My. Day. Every. Single. Day. I'm not kidding. 

The better news is that developmentally, Milo is tracking ahead of schedule, according to the amazing team of service peeps that help us out. He wears his hearing aids all waking hours (and even during some naps!), and we've seen improvements already. This kid is destined for greatness!

This is our life, and there have definitely been more good days than bad days since we've gotten the magic ears. (Ask me if I feel the same way whenever he discovers his ears and is constantly pulling them out... but that's another post, for another day.) 

Everyone that's met Milo will agree that he's a very happy, laid back, healthy lil man. He's an absolute joy and my favorite person in existence. (Sorry Marc!) To say I wouldn't change a thing would be a lie. But this is him. And I love every piece. Even the robotic ones. 

Stay tuned for details of Milo's awesome tour of Texas! He met lots of people who love him! 

Thanks for reading, and for caring. 

- Jaime & Marc & Milo

7 comments:

  1. And we all got to see you and that sweet boy!! Highlight of 2014 for me :) Love all three of you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the honesty. I bet you'll also appreciate it years from now when you read the raw, honest words and remember what it was really like...and how far you and Milo have come. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are such a source of inspiration jaime. i know your story will help others. thank you for sharing it so honestly and so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire you and Marc for your openness and sharing. hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading this brought tears to my eyes. Jaime, you are a constant ray of sunshine and Milo is so lucky to have a wonderful mommy like you. Our children are the biggest blessing on earth and I am so happy to hear that your little blessing is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written, such honesty, such strength. You are very inspiring Jaime. Milo has the best parents ever! Your writing brought tears to my eyes. We love you guys. Kala

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to hear the good news of the hearing aids. Parenting is indeed a journey filled with all sorts of unexpected challenges. It seems like you are doing great and that you have good care. Keep moving forward. Milo is a lucky boy. It will get easier and easier. Meg (Mia's mom)

    ReplyDelete